Child Electrical Safety Tips
RECOMMENDED BY THE ELECTRICAL SAFETY AUTHORITY, ESA
Our children depend on us to teach them how to keep themselves safe. Childhood adventures often lead youngsters down dangerous paths. The Electrical Safety Authority encourages parents to teach their children the following electrical safety DON’Ts – this is key to keeping them safe from electrical shock and fire hazards.
- Don’t stick anything into electrical wall outlets, into the end of an electrical extension cord, or into electrical appliances that are plugged in. And electrical wall outlets should be childproofed to help avoid accidents.
- Don’t overload outlets by plugging too many cords into them. Also be aware that using adapters to add cords can still cause overloads and fires.
- Don’t use any cords that show signs of damage such as loose prongs, splits in the plastic casing (cord jacket), or cords that heat up when in use.
- Don’t remove the 3rd prong or ground pin of a plug.
- Don’t touch outlets or switches with missing or broken cover plates.
- Don’t plug anything into an outlet if there is water on the floor near it.
- Don’t use hair dryers, radios, or any other electrical appliances in the tub or shower. And, always unplug hair dryers when you are done with them.
- Don’t go near any electrical wiring, electrical equipment or get on any roof to play or retrieve a ball or toy.
- Don’t forget to be careful when you are playing outside at home or in the park – always check for overhead wires and know that there are underground wires too.
- Don’t climb utility poles and fences around electrical equipment.